Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN'S ENGLISH WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, PWLLYCROCHAN AVENUE, COLWYN BAY LL29 7DA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7466

Map Reference SH87NW

Grid Reference SH84637913

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Colwyn Bay

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This is one of the most elaborate gothic chapels built in Wales, at a cost of over £7,000, and was popularly known as the 'Cathedral of (English Wesleyan) Methodism on the north Welsh Coast'. It was built in 1887-8, in full 'church' Decorated Gothic style, with a side entry, after a prolonged planning and ambitious building process (foundations put in 1882) by the architect Robert Curwen of Liverpool. There is an apse at the east end with fine memorial stained-glass windows and a soaring stone-built tower and spire at the west end. The adjoining octagonal-spired apsidal-ended schoolroom was built in 1883 and enlarged in 1908. The church's status in 2007 is in dual use shared between the Wesleyan Methodists and as a chapel for the adjoining Rydal School. There is a arched & stone-roofed lychgate of 1882 & a red-brick manse.

RCAHMW, 13.06.2008 using E.Hubbard (Buildings of Wales: Clwyd), (1994), pager 136 & Capel Tour notes.

Digital Images

Archive Records