Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OLD RECTORY, LLANVAPLEY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 96308

Map Reference SO31SE

Grid Reference SO36671417

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Llanarth (Monmouthshire)

Type of Site RECTORY

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Vicarage is a two-storey house with a three-window range. The exterior is whitewashed stucco with a hipped roof, and two red brick ridge stacks. It has flat eaves. It has a twentieth century porch with square piers and a pediment to the right.

It was a former parsonage mostly rebuilt in 1830-2 to designs by Adolphus Fairchild of Abergavenny.There was an older parsonage on the site, but only a small part was kept as the West end of the service wing to the NorthWest of the present house. It cost £475.The 1830 plans show a rectangular plan with a dining-room, library and drawing-room to the front, and a vestibule, stair-hall and butler's room behind. Then in the new-built part of the rear wing (East end) there was the kitchen, dairy and brew-house with the surviving part of the old building incorporated as service rooms at the West end. The upper floor was to be servants' room and granary.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings (NJR 20/03/2008)

Archive Records