You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Abbey Woollen Mills, Neath Abbey

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS79NW
Grid ReferenceSS7376098068
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNeath Port Talbot
Old CountyGlamorgan
PeriodPost Medieval
The mill was built in 1825 as a forge and rolling mill (NPRN 40458) for Neath Abbey Ironworks, on the site of a late seventeenth-century copper works. It is constructed of Pennant sandstone, with ashlar dressings, under a pitched slate roof supported on cast and wrought iron trusses. The south-west elevation was originally a series of arches, but these have been filled in and rendered over. The works was powered by a waterwheel on its north-east side, fed from a dam built across the head of the Clydach Falls. In the 1870s it was converted to a woollen mill, which may be when the arches were filled and a floor inserted, supported on cast iron columns. The woollen mill worked to 1974, at which point the machinery was bought by Swansea Museums and displayed in Swansea Industrial Museum until it was merged with the National Waterfront Museum, opened in 2005.
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 20 November 2014.