Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SAINT MARY'S CHURCH, BANGOR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 97104

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH5834072467

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bangor

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's Church is located between Garth Road and Maes-y-Dref, set in a rectangular landscaped churchyard, and approached via an overgrown Yew drive.
The church was built in 1864 in decorated Gothic style to designs of H.P.Horner, architect of Liverpool. The plan comprises a six-bay aisled nave with south-west porch, a lower two-bay chancel, four-stage tower and octagonal spire on the south-west, and lean-to vestry on the north side. It is constructed of rubble with freestone spire and dressings including crucifix finials, plinth bands, quoins and stepped and diagonal buttresses (gabled to west and east ends), slate roofs and boarded doors.
Interior features include two-order chamfered arcade and thin octagonal piers without capitals; scissors truss nave rood, boarded to chancel; broad aisles; Gothic furnishings and a good stained glass window to the south side.
The church has been earmarked (2013) for closure.
(Extracted from Cadw Listing database, with additions)

RCAHMW, 4 November 2014

Archive Records