Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, CARREG-WEN, MANORDEIFI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 115022

Map Reference SN24SW

Grid Reference SN2249541870

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Manordeifi

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St David's, the new church of Manordeifi, is located on the north side of a minor road from Cilgerran to Abercych on the eastern edge of the village of Carreg-wen. It was built in 1898 to designs of Middleton, Prothero & Phillot of Cheltenham, paid for largely by the Colbys of Ffynone, and Saunders-Davies of Pentre. It replaced the old church by the river, then threatened by flooding.
The present church is constructed of coursed Cilgerran stone with limestone ashlar dressings and slate roof, traceried in Bath stone. It consists of nave, chancel, south porch, west bell-spire and north vestry, with ashlar coped gables, cross finials, and thin octagonal bell-spire. Inside, the rafter roofs are open with collars and king struts, more ornate in the chancel, plastered walls and moulded chancel arch. Ornate fittings are notable, especially the exceptional font and pulpit in alabaster and marble, moved from the chapel at Pentre (1879 by J P St Aubyn), demolished in the 1970s. Also of note is the 1923 painted wood reredos by Martin Travers. Stained glass includes work by A.L.Moore (1898).
Source: T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004), p.278.

RCAHMW, 9 June 2015

Archive Records