Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, MACHYNLLETH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12217

Map Reference SH70SW

Grid Reference SH7452600947

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Machynlleth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Peter’s church is located at the junction of Heol Penrallt and Heol y Doll. The first church at this location, above the edge of the Dovey, can be traced back to the sixth Century, with the early church being established by St Cybi from Cornwall. During the Medieval period, the church was known as ‘Ecclesia de Machenleyd’ and it was during this period that the original British dedication was replaced by the name of St Peter.
The design of the thirteenth-century, pre-restoration, church was based around a cruciform plan. It has quoins and eighteenth-century windows in the upper parts. Battlements and pinnacles were added early in the nineteenth century. It was rebuilt in 1827 to the design of E.Haycock, the architect of Shrewsbury. Other alterations and modifications were made in 1864-6, to the design of the architects, Poundley & Walker, including a chancel arch and window, and the removal of existing galleries. Further modifications were made in 1894, funded by the Marchioness of Londonderry of Plas Machynlleth. Stained glass of 1883 and 1886 is present.The Church was built in the Gothic style with nave and chancel. A prominent feature is the late-medieval tower. Present status [1999]: Church.

[Additional:] The east gable end was rebuilt using stone from Ynysymaengwyn incorporating fragments of dressed-stone and plain-chamfered windows. Photographed by RCAHMW before and after restoration. (R.F.Suggett/RCAHMW/March 2005).

David Leighton & Richard Suggett, RCAHMW, 21 April 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records