Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY THE VIRGIN'S MISSION CHURCH, FOCHRIW

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13274

Map Reference SO10NW

Grid Reference SO1041205284

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Darran Valley

Type of Site MISSION CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description A Mission Church was established in 1907 on the east side of what is now Pontlottyn Road, on the south-west margin of Fochriw close to the now-disused Fochriw Colliery. The church, built into ground rising up to the road, was dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. It comprised nave and chancel above a basement hall, or Institute, and a north-west bell-tower. Built of brick under slate roofs the church was entered from Pontlottyn Road through a door in the base of the tower, the basement through a north-east porch.
The church was damaged by fire in 1939. By 1981 it was in such a state of disrepair that it was demolished.
Source:
http://www.fochriwhistory.co.uk/page185.htm
Ordnance Survey third-edition 25-inch map: Glamorgan XII.7 (1919)

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 17 December 2014

Archive Records