Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NATIONAL MUSEUM OF WALES, CATHAYS PARK, CARDIFF

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 167

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1835476957

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Cardiff)

Type of Site MUSEUM

Broad Class EDUCATION

Period Modern

Site Description Building of the National Museum in Cardiff Civic Centre (NPRN 401617) started in 1910. Additions were made in 1932 of the east wing and lecture theatre; in 1967 of the west wing and in the 1990s of additional galleries to both wings. It is classical in style, although simpler than that of the surrounding City Hall (nprn 168) and Law Courts (nprn 31806). The walls are faced with Portland stone. A double flight of granite steps leads up to the southeast-facing main entrance; there are Doric columns to the portico. There is a granite architrave to the main doorway and bronze doors, leading to a domed entrance hall, 30m high, with a polished marble floor and columns; original pink glass glazing survives in the windows below the dome. Three-bay wings are set either side of the portico; they have Doric columns and tall windows. There is a similar west wing. A semi-circular lecture theatre is attached to the east wing.

(Source: Cadw listing description)
The architects were Dunbar Smith & Brewer.

RCAHMW, February 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites