Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PEN-Y-GWRYD ROMAN MARCHING CAMP

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301057

Map Reference SH65NE

Grid Reference SH6598055720

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Beddgelert

Type of Site MARCHING CAMP

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Roman

Site Description Pen-y-Gwryd is a Roman temporary camp whose incomplete ramparts describe a parallelogram of about 224m east-west by 180m, enclosing an area of about 4.0ha. It was recognised from the air in about 1954 (Journal of Roman Studies 45 (1955) 121). Camps such as this were constructed by Roman armies on campaign.

A section was recorded across the line of the southern camp circuit following roadworks in 1968. This showed that the 1.95m wide rampart was turf-built and was fronted by a 0.6m wide berm and a 1.8m wide & 0.4m deep ditch. The ditch-fill was largely of turf-blocks derived from the rampart.

The camp is laid out across the lower western slopes and the marshy floor of one of the most important passes in Snowdonia. Important routes, now followed by main roads, move along the valleys from the east and south, and from the Pass of Llanberis to the west. The camp faces east, the highest point being the north-western angle, set immediately below a prominent crag. The central area, site of the general's tent, altars, podium and place of augury, occupies a distinct hollow.

Sources: RCAHMW Caernarvonshire Inventory II (1960), 31
Webster in the Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 23.2 (1970), 184-6

John Wiles 12.06.07

Digital Images

Archive Records