Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BRITON FERRY IRONWORKS, BRITON FERRY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 309213

Map Reference SS79SW

Grid Reference SS7340093900

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Briton Ferry

Type of Site IRON WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description 1. An ironworks was established on the banks of the River Neath in the l840s. It was reconstructed in the 1890s, still as an iron smelter and closed in 1958. The site has been completely cleared with the exception of the blast engine house of circa 1910 which housed a Richardson, Westgarth quarter crank blowing engine. It is constructed of concrete blocks in a steel frame, and has two rows of classical-style fenestration, now filled in.
(Site entry from "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology, 2nd Edition, 1989)
J Hill 24.10.2003.

2. NGR corrected from SS73459380.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 08 January 2014.