Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SULLY HOSPITAL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 31894

Map Reference ST16NW

Grid Reference ST14076747

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Sully

Type of Site HOSPITAL

Broad Class HEALTH AND WELFARE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Sully Hospital was constructed in 1931-8 for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. It was taken over by the Welsh Hospital Board in 1948, who developed Sully as a general hospital; having played a significant part in treating wartime casualties including evacuees from Dunkirk.

The building was designed by W A Pite, Son and Fairweather, who devised the south ward block (which has a main frontage facing the sea), with traps to provide shelter and 'sun heated air'. It is in Modern Movement style, constructed of brick rendered and reinforced concrete, painted, with metal- frame windows and balconies. It has an exceptionally wide 3 storey main front, terraced to the south, with stepped ward wings. There are pale colour-washed walls with flat roofs and distinctive projecting eaves and a set-back attic storey is flanked by chimneys coming forward.

The well-proportioned interior has careful detailing such as wardrobes, rubber edging to the doors (mostly replaced), curved corners to eliminate dust traps, and floors of terrace and rubberised composition. There are fireplaces, oak skirtings and dado rails to some public rooms including the library and original metal handrails to the stairs including the exceptional open-well; circular staircases in the north block with cantilevered flights.

(Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 10/08/2005

RCAHMW photo survey during conversion June 2005. (RFS/2005)

Digital Images

Archive Records