Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

VAN LEAD MINE;LLYN Y FAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34017

Map Reference SN98NW

Grid Reference SN94248759

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanidloes Without

Type of Site LEAD MINE

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Van Mine was one of the most productive lead mines in Europe for a period in the 1870s. There are records of trials in 1850 to 1852 and the first ore was produced in 1866. In 1871 the output was so great that a standard gauge railway of six miles length was constructed to join the Cambrian main line at Caersws. The mine’s production started to decline in the 1890s and it eventually closed in 1921. (Bick)

The surviving remains include three yellow brick chimneys that were part of the smelting complex (NPRN 341148), an incline (NPRN 309762) and tramway (NPRN 309762). The site is associated with the Van Railway (NPRN 309762). The site was photographed during aerial reconnaissance by the RCAHMW and is recorded on aerial photograph 955037/59-63. The mine is shown on the Ordnance Survey County Series map for Montgomeryshire (sheet number XLI, 12) dated 1886.

Claire Parry, RCAHMW, 6 June 2011

SOURCES:
1. Bick, D.E The Old Metal Mines of Mid-Wales, pages 40-45, 1977
2. Association for Industrial Archaeology: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Mid-Wales, 1984

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources