Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34260

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1891072420

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Penarth


Broad Class MARITIME

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Custom House, Penarth Docks was constructed in 1865; probably by Samuel Dobson who designed the first dock at Penarth. Built in Renaissance style, it is 2-storey plus attic. It has a 5-bay symmetrical front with a central bell tower and advanced pedimented end bays. It is yellow brick with bathstone dressings; a rusticated ground floor and a red brick left side elevation. There is a central Doric porch with modillion cornice and double 3-panel doors; cambered headed ground floor windows and a bell tower with an octagonal, domed roof, weathervane, clock faces and foliage panels. There are twin segmental arched store entrances attached to the left of the front surmounted by a segmental pediment over scrolled cartouche reading "Erected AD 1865".

(Source: Cadw Listings database) S Garfi 8/9/06

Digital Images

Archive Records