Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, SWANSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400057

Map Reference SS69SE

Grid Reference SS6559592927

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Multiperiod

Site Description Present church is the fifth or possibly the sixth, to be built on this site, and was re-built in the 1950's following damage during WWII. Documentary evidence indicates that wallpaintings were found during the demolition of 1896. Sources; undated notes by A.J. Parkinson, RCAHMW; St Mary's church website, www.swanseastmary.fs.net.co.uk. 2004.04.13/RCAHMW/SLE
WALLPAINTINGS
[1] Inscription in black letter - paintings found during demolition of 1896 on W side of chancel arch: black-letter inscription
Morgan, East Gower 115
[2] red vine leaves & grapes - On east wall of nave,north of chancel arch, below [1]; 'red vine leaves and grapes'. Probably mediaeval
[3] painted recess - Plastered recess painted deep red Moragn East Gower, 112
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings Database. 2004.09.14/RCAHMW/SLE
List of inscriptions, plus notes about mid-19th century burials, compiled by sexton circa 1830-50. Details held at the British Museum - Ref Add.MSs 34061.
Ex. A.J. Parkinson, March 1975.

Digital Images

Archive Records