Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST IDLOES'S CHURCH, LLANIDLOES

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400311

Map Reference SN98SE

Grid Reference SN9538184682

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanidloes

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Idloes', Llanidloes is a medieval Gothic church of considerable importance owing to it comprising elements of the former Cistercian abbey church of Abbey Cwmhir. The spectacular, full length, 19-bay hammerbeam roof is dated 1542, marking its removal from the Abbey; this has moulded timber trusses and stone corbels (4 of which are foliage carved); and carved figures with gilded angels to hammerbeams. Also from Abbey Cwmhir is the famous 5-bay arcade of ca 1200/1210 - a specially fine example of Early English work - stylistically akin to the West Country School of Masons. The church has a 14th century west tower of typically Welsh border style with a stepped pyramidal roof with boarded belfry and louvred openings and a weathervane to the top. The nave was reconstructed in 1542 following the dissolution of the monastery and the earlier east window was transferred to the east wall of the north aisle which was added at that date. Restoration took place in early 18th century and the south wall was rebuilt in 1816; the chancel was enlarged and the whole church restored in 1880-82 by G E Street. A modern extension was added by P G Harrison (1982). To the north of the arcade lies the aisle with a screen of 1956 by Bernard Miller to the Lady Chapel alter. There are encaustic tile floors to the chancel.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 12 November 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources