Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NEWPORT DOCKS: ALEXANDRA NORTH AND SOUTH DOCKS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 403430

Map Reference ST38SW

Grid Reference ST32118495

Unitary (Local) Authority Newport

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Pillgwenlly

Type of Site DOCK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Modern, Post Medieval

Site Description The North dock, enclosing an area of 11.5ha, was opened in 1875 and the South, eventually enclosing 38.9ha, was fully completed in 1914, and between them provided extensive coal-exporting facilities, with the great lock providing direct to the open sea. Both are still in use, handling mixed inward and outward cargoes.

A bronze mounted obelisk (nprn 414117) in memory of 34 workers killed on 2 July 1909 when the walls of the new entrance lock collapsed, stands in St Woollos Cemetery (nprn 402984).
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 14 October 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites