Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANWNDA 6, CROSS-INCISED STONE, ST GWYNDAF'S CHURCH, LLANWNDA,

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421734

Map Reference SM93NW

Grid Reference SM932396

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Pencaer

Type of Site INSCRIBED STONE

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Early Medieval

Site Description Llanwnda 6 was found during the restoration of St Gwyndaf’s Church (NPRN 308468) in 1881, buried in the wall. It is built into the external east wall of the south chapel, at ground level. The stone is one of eight early medieval cross-carved stones associated with the church (see NPRNs 422430-422435 & 92655) , suggesting it was an early ecclesiastical site of some significance.

The stone is of pyroxene-rich gabbroid dolerite and is the lower part of a rough shaft. Its top is missing and only one face is visible and its bottom is undecorated. It is carved with roll mouldings on both vertical angles. At the top is a roughly rectangular panel, carved with two diagonals composes of three parallel bands. Below is a human face with raised, lentoid eyes joined to a rectangular nose, below which is a half-circular mouth. Below the face are two more diagonals composed of three parallel bands forming two sides of a triangle, which meet below the pointed chin. The carving is thought to be later 10th- or 11th-century in date.

Sources include:
Edwards, N. 2007, Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales

N Vousden, 12 January 2018

Digital Images

Archive Records