Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CORY'S BUILDING, BUTE STREET, BUTETOWN, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 18396

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1911774649

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site OFFICE

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period 19th Century

Site Description Opened in 1889, this building was constructed to the designs of Bruton and Williams, architects of Cardiff, for Cory Brothers Ltd. It adjoins the Customs and Immigration building to the left and the former Board of Trade building on Bute Place to the right.

It is built in the Free Italianate Classical style with some Mannerist derived detail. A 5-storey building with an asymmetrical, 13-window, ashlar front and channelled ground floor with granite plinth, the central section is emphasised by giant order, part fluted pilaster strips and a stepped up parapet incorporating a segmental pediment. The ground, 2nd , 3rd & 4th storeys are delineated by cornices (dentilated to the 2nd floor), and there are horned, sash glazed windows, some with bracket cornices and volutes.
There are central columns with elaborately foliated bulbous bases linked by a coffered giant arch with foliated spandrels, carried on paired pilasters and flanking a splayed bay window with open pediment.
There are similar splayed oriels to the 1st floors of the flanking sections, with paired, segmental headed windows to the end bays and camber headed windows in squared recesses to the ground floor.
The central entrance has Grecian brackets to a stout balustrade, with urn finials and an inscribed entablature. The doorway is recessed.
The left hand section of the building is built in red brick with stone banding, while the corner to the right is set back to the top two floors, rounded below and dated 1889 to the 2nd floor. There is a 2+1-window to the right hand side adjoining the former Board of Trade building, and the right hand bay is slightly stepped back.

The interior retains openwell stairs with an arabesque ornamented, iron balustrade with a moulded handrail which is scrolled to the base. Some of the windows have small-pane glazed shutters (secondary casement glazing).
(Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 29/11/2006

Digital Images

Archive Records