Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARTIN'S CHURCH, CWMYOY

Site Details



NPRN 222006

Map Reference SO22SE

Grid Reference SO29912335

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Crucorney

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Martin's Church, Cwmyoy is constructed in local fine grained red/grey sandstone coursed rubble, with stone tiled roofs which were renewed in 1887. The walling is medieval with considerable repairs and rebuilding as a result of ground instability. The church consists of nave, chancel, south porch and west tower with external stair turret and castellated parapet. The church is heavily buttressed, with three stepped ones to each side of the nave and one to the south wall of the chancel, and large flying buttresses to the tower, these are all Victorian additions. The nave has three windows in either wall, three identical 2-light Decorated ones which are Victorian; the north west one which is 12th-13th century; the south east one which is 13th-14th century; and the 3-light middle window of the south wall which is probably 16th century. The chancel appears to have been built separately from the nave. It has a small pointed window on either flank wall and a 2-light east window with cusped heads, this may be 14th century. The tower is medieval, it is twisted and leans at a considerable angle towards the south west. There are a number of painted tombstones, many for the Brute family, and a stone cross carved with an unusual image of Christ, thought to date from the 1200's

Sources: 1977 notes by A.J. Parkinson; CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

Associated with:
Churchyard cross (Nprn306286).

RCAHMW, 1st February, 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites