Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

INSCRIBED STONE, ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, LLANFIHANGEL-Y-TRAETHAU

Site Details



NPRN 275898

Map Reference SH53NE

Grid Reference SH5949035390

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Talsarnau

Type of Site INSCRIBED STONE

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description This medieval inscribed stone is situated in the churchyard of St Michael's Church (NPRN 43894). it is located to the west of the church, and is a roughly square sectioned pillar stone. Measurements are given as 2m high and 0.15-0.2m wide. The Latin text, inscribed in four vertical lines, has been tentatively reconstructed as 'Here is the tomb of Wleder mother of Hoedlyw who first built this church in the time of King Owain'. As Owain Gwynedd was active between 1137-70, it is assumed that the stone dates to this time.

Sources include:
Parry, 1848, Archaeologia Cambrensis IV 224-227
Nash Williams, 1950, Early Christian Monuments in Wales, 169-170
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 268, 356

John Wiles 05.07.07

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites