Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MERTHYR HOUSE, JAMES AND EVELYN STREETS, BUTETOWN

Site Details



NPRN 307719

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1888574569

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site COMMERCIAL OFFICE

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period 20th Century

Site Description Merthyr House was a large highly-decorated four-storey bathstone building with basements and attics which stood at the corner of James Street and Evelyn Street, backing on to Adelaide Place. It had a banded rusticated ground floor above which massive decorated pilasters articulated four-bay façades. One corner of the building was canted and channelled and decorated with a massive cartouche and festoons. Erected in 1918 by E. Turner & Sons Ltd. to the design of Henry Budgen, Merthyr House was occupied by the offices of prominent south Wales coal and shipping companies until it was severely damaged in a fire on Sunday 17 March 1946, the northern part of the building being totally destroyed. It was never rebuilt. Later in the twentieth century the building was renamed Imperial House, but was demolished around the turn of the twenty-first century. The site now stands empty.

(Sources: Victorian Society Tour Notes, VS01/16; Webb, ‘Merthyr House, James Street & Evelyn Street, Cardiff’, Glamorgan Archives; Discovering Glamorgan’s Past)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 13.07.2018

Archive Records