ROYAL PIER AND PAVILION, ABERYSTWYTH
Map Reference SN58SE
Grid Reference SN5811081803
Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion
Old County Cardiganshire
Type of Site PLEASURE PIER
Broad Class MARITIME;RECREATIONAL
Period Post Medieval
Site Description Aberystwyth Pier, originally 244m long, was built by Eugenius Birch of London in 1865 and consists of cast-iron piles concreted into the rock, with cast-iron columns braced by wrought iron rods. The pier was damaged by a storm in 1866 and rebuilt in 1872. A pavilion and substructure were added by G. Croydon Marks of London in 1896 at the instigation of the Aberystwyth Improvement Company. The pier was truncated to its present length of 91m in 1938 by storm damage.
RCAHMW, 30 July 2008.