Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

QUEEN ALEXANDRA DOCK, CARDIFF DOCKS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34276

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST198738

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site DOCK

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Modern

Site Description The construction of Queen Alexandra Dock was the final expansion of Cardiff Docks. Opening in 1907, it covered 52 acres. The main commercial section of the docks with direct locked access to the sea outside of the Barrage (nprn 305755). The link to Roath Dock (nprn 34279) is spanned by a 1904 swing bridge built by Handyside. A few buildings remain; a pumping station and a length of transit sheds from the 1930s. After the Cardiff Bay Development of the 1980's and 1990's, only Queen Alexandra and Roath Docks remain in use.

(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 21 March 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites