Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NORWEGIAN CHURCH, BUTE EAST DOCK, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 9321

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1937574243

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Norwegian Chapel was built in 1869 as a timber framed building with corrugated iron. The chapel is built in the Gothic style with a long-wall entry plan, integral tower and spire. This closed in 1971, was dismantled in 1987 by the Norwegian Church Preservation Trust and rebuilt in 1992 in a new location overlooking Cardiff Bay. The site is not intended to be permanent, so the building has been reconstructed in kit ( timber- frame) form, so that if necessary it can be dismantled and recreated elsewhere. The majority of the construction is of new material, including a great deal of timber donated from Norway. The original cladding was of corrugated metal, a new and exciting material at the end of the nineteenth century, but the chapel has been reconstructed using shiplap timber boarding. Some large baulks of timber in the frame and some of the wide floor boards are original. The windows are simple but attractively shaped and the walls are painted white.
The chapel is now a significant feature of the mixed architecture of Cardiff Bay and houses the Norwegian Church Arts Centre.

RCAHMW, June 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources