Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DRYSLWYN CASTLE, DRYSLWYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 100682

Map Reference SN52SE

Grid Reference SN5538720288

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llangathen

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description The shattered ruins of a medieval castle crown the ultimate summit of a dramatically isolated and abrupt hill rising from the Tywi floodplain. The castle was founded by a local Welsh prince in the second quarter of the thirteenth century. It was twice expanded before, in 1287, it was captured for the English crown after a desperate and famous siege. A walled borough was now added on the lower summit of the hill (see NPRN 109584) and the castle itself was modified and repaired throughout the following century. The castle was decommissioned in the early fifteenth century and decayed thereafter. It has recently been excavated and the remains are consolidated for public display.

The earliest castle consisted of a great round tower and a princely mansion set in a strongly walled court. In the later thirteenth century two further walled courts were added on the north-east slopes reaching down to the borough on the lower summit. The most dramatic remaining feature is the outer facade of the great appartments. Otherwise the castle is mostly reduced to footings.

Source: Rees & Caple CADW Guide to Dinefwr Castle & Dryslwyn Castle, revised edition (2007)

John Wiles 06.12.07

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites