You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St David's Church, Manordeifi

Loading Map
NPRN102055
Map ReferenceSN24SW
Grid ReferenceSN2283043160
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityManordeifi
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

St David's church, Manordeifi is a stone-built medieval church on an ancient site dedicated to St. David. It consists of a chancel and nave, with a stone gable-bellcote and porch at the west end and a later vestry on the north side of chancel. There are some 14th century Early-English mullioned windows in the chancel south wall and an early square-bowl font ornamented with quatrefoils. By 1899 a new church had been consecrated, built on a hill nearby clear of the flood plain, and the old church declined until its recent restoration in 1905 and again 1948-73. The box-pews remain; two which are taller with fluted columns at angles and plainer box-pews of various dates in between and then two larger pews fitted with fireplaces.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 13 November 2007.