Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, MANORDEIFI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 102055

Map Reference SN24SW

Grid Reference SN22834316

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Manordeifi

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St David's church, Manordeifi is a stone-built medieval church on an ancient site dedicated to St. David. It consists of a chancel and nave, with a stone gable-bellcote and porch at the west end and a later vestry on the north side of chancel. There are some 14th century Early-English mullioned windows in the chancel south wall and an early square-bowl font ornamented with quatrefoils. By 1899 a new church had been consecrated, built on a hill nearby clear of the flood plain, and the old church declined until its recent restoration in 1905 and again 1948-73. The box-pews remain; two which are taller with fluted columns at angles and plainer box-pews of various dates in between and then two larger pews fitted with fireplaces.

Sources: CADW listed buildings database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 13 November 2007.

Archive Records