You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Roch Castle

Loading Map
NPRN102780
Map ReferenceSM82SE
Grid ReferenceSM8803021210
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityNolton and Roch
Type Of SiteCASTLE
PeriodMedieval
Description
Roch Castle was first built circa 1200 by Adam de Rupe or de la Roche, founder of Pill Priory, Milford. The present castle has been dated by G.T. Clark to circa 1270. Though built for defence, it appears to have been adapted to habitation with freestone windows and fireplaces. The de la Roche estates were broken up in the fifteenth century and the castle was then ruinous. It was garrisoned for the royal cause during the Civil War and beseiged in 1644. From 1901-4 it was restored and made habitable for Sir J. Wynford Philipps Bt of Picton, later Viscount St Davids, to the designs of D.E. Thomas of Haverfordwest. Further works were carried out in 1910 and circa 1918-20, the latter by D.F. Ingleton.

The castle has a 'D' shaped plan and is a tall single structure with projecting chambers and stands on an isolated rock outcrop surrounded by a mosted enclosure.

RCAHMW, 17 February 2009
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/mswordPHGS - Pembrokeshire Historic Garden Sites Collection