Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, COURT HENRY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 104725

Map Reference SN52SE

Grid Reference SN5581322623

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llangathen

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, bounded by a road to the south-west and stream to the south-east. The church was built as an estate church, for Reverend George Wade Green, who had purchased Court Henry in 1830. The church was transferred to the Church in Wales in 1930s.

The church was erected in 1832 (as stated on the building), probably to the designs of Thomas Richardson, gentleman architect and friend of Reverend Green. The nave and tower are constructed of rubble stone. The remainder of the building is constructed of snecked rock-faced stone with silver-grey quoins with lighter freestone dressings. The roof has crested ridge tiles. The nave has a five-bay boarded wagon roof with an unusually wide span, the ribs of which are on corbelled wall posts. Plain segmental-pointed arches open to the transepts. The north transept has a north-east buttress and an organ recess on its east side. The chancel has a boarded wagon roof and segmental-pointed chancel arch. There is also a trefoil-headed piscina. A wainscot with cusped arcading in the nave and transepts is thought to date to 1832. The font, with square Norman bowl with pointed lobes around its base on a later octagonal stem with square base, was brought from another church. The pews and polygonal wooden pulpit are thought to date to 1890. The east window commemorates Reverend George Wade Green (died 1868). It depicts the Resurrection, and is thought to be by Mayer and Co, London. It is similar to the chancel south window, signed Mayer & Co. The south transept has an early twentieth century window depicting the Good Shepherd flanked by St Francis of Assisi and St David. The nave's south window is a First World War memorial window, depicting St George and a legionnaire at the crucifixion. A brass plaque beside the font commemorates Eric Green, killed in India in 1900.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 13 March 2013

Archive Records