You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Pentwr Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Tower Hill, Fishguard

Loading Map
NPRN10940
Map ReferenceSM93NE
Grid ReferenceSM9602537063
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityFishguard and Goodwick
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

Pentwr Calvinistic Methodist is a long-wall chapel originating in 1759, rebuilt in 1788, 1806 and again in 1824. In 1889 the chapel was remodelled for £1200 by architect D E Thomas of Haverfordwest, in conjunction with the Tenby based builder William Davies, and a schoolroom added in 1890 by Thomas Harries of Trellan. Early ministers included John Dafydd (1765), Thomas Davies (1790) and David Jones (1794). By 1802 the membership was recorded as 80, during that year the chapel was granted the right to hold baptistism and communion services and by 1810 membership had risen to 200. During the revival in 1859 30 new members are recorded, but when Philip Jones started as minister in 1886 members are recorded at 100. In 1901 a cemetary was bought and four years later a manse was constructed on land donated by D Jones, a future MP for the county. During the period 1917-1938 J T Job was minister, who as a poet won Chair at the National Eisteddfod in 1897,1903 and 1918 and the Crown in 1900.

The stuccoed front facade is lateral entry and the two end doors hidden by porches linked by a verandah supported by two cast iron columns. A central pair of round-headed windows with Florentine tracery is matched by a single gallery window over each porch, and a small glazed, roundel is set above the pair. The interior escaped re-orientation during the 1889 renovation, the pulpit is still to the front wall, although now with a later organ inserted behind it and blocking the central pair of windows. The three sided gallery is of pitch pine with pierced cast iron panels inset to the front and supported by cast iron columns. To the front of the chapl has a narrow courtyard separated from the road by a low stuccoed wall set with cast iron railings.

Pentwrr is now Grade 2 Listed

RCAHMW, July 2010

Cadw Listing Description 12365

Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfERC - Emergency Recording Collection