You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Penybont Welsh Independent Chapel, Ford

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSM92NE
Grid ReferenceSM9565026400
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
Period19th Century
From 1797 monthly preaching services were held in the home of a Sarah Williams, Ford farm by the ministers of Tregarn Owen. Due to their success it was decided to build a chapel and land called Waun y Bont was obtained from J Knox. A daughter of Trefgarn owen, by 1821 the cause was so successful it was decided to break the link and get their own minister. The service of incorporation was held in november 1821 when there were 52 members. In 1901 Penybont founded its own daughter church, Horeb, in Letterston.

PenyBont Independent Chapel was built initally in 1807, modified in 1831, rebuilt in 1876 and rebuilt in 1907/8 at a cost of £800. A manse was built in 1928 at a cost of £929 and vestry 8 years later.

The present chapel, dated 1906, is built in the Sub-Classical style with a gable-entry plan and is probably by the designer D E Thomas of Haverfordwest. The facade is concrete rendered with inscribed ashlar design to the outer bays, the inner bay contained within a large pediment arch.A central, round-headed doorway ahs two round-headed windows above an a circular date plaque inscribed "PENYBONT FORD CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL BUILT1807 REBUILT 1907".

The vestibule contains a fine example of a leaded glass window with coloured glass in geometric patterns. The platform pulpit contains decorative panels of cast iron tracery and is reached by a straight flight of steps to either side. behind, a full height pulpit window has been largely blocked in recent years, but retains a moulded plaster arch resting on dcorative corbels. The form of the compact sedd fawr mirrors the five blocks of ground floor pews. There is a gallery on three side supported by marbled wooden columns with foliate capitals, the gallery front having an open tracery front of timber, worked and painted to imitate cast ironwork.

The chapel currently has around 45 members and has weekly services and Sunday school.

RCAHMW, May 2014