You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Pen-dref Welsh Independent Chapel;capel Annibynnol Pendref;pendu;pendre'f, Llanfyllin

Loading Map
NPRN11357
Map ReferenceSJ11NW
Grid ReferenceSJ1440619322
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityLlanfyllin
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The fellowship of the Pen-Dref Congregational Chapel was established c.1640 by the preacher Vavasour Powell, though the first chapel building dated from 1707. This was subsequently destroyed by an anti-nonconformist mob, and rebuilt at the government's expense in 1717. A second rebuilding took place in 1829 with the only element incorporated from the earlier chapel being a memorial stone, unusual for a non-conformist chapel as it includes Latin text. Remodelling works took place in the 1890's and a lean-to vestry added during the early twentieth century. The present chapel, dated 1890, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a long-wall entry plan. The chapel is constructed from Flemish bond red brick with a slate roof. Of particular note is the extant gallery which is supported on cast-iron peirs. The renowned hymn-writer, Ann Griffiths, was converted to Non-Conformism in an outdoor ceremony at this church in 1796. Pen-Dref is now Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, November 2010