Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PEN-DREF WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL;CAPEL ANNIBYNNOL PENDREF;PENDU;PENDRE'F, LLANFYLLIN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 11357

Map Reference SJ11NW

Grid Reference SJ1440619322

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanfyllin

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The fellowship of the Pen-Dref Congregational Chapel was established c.1640 by the preacher Vavasour Powell, though the first chapel building dated from 1707. This was subsequently destroyed by an anti-nonconformist mob, and rebuilt at the government’s expense in 1717. A second rebuilding took place in 1829 with the only element incorporated from the earlier chapel being a memorial stone, unusual for a non-conformist chapel as it includes Latin text. Remodelling works took place in the 1890's and a lean-to vestry added during the early twentieth century. The present chapel, dated 1890, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a long-wall entry plan. The chapel is constructed from Flemish bond red brick with a slate roof. Of particular note is the extant gallery which is supported on cast-iron peirs. The renowned hymn-writer, Ann Griffiths, was converted to Non-Conformism in an outdoor ceremony at this church in 1796. Pen-Dref is now Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, November 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records