Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SEION METHODIST CHAPEL (WESLEYAN;SION), LLANRHAEADR-YM-MOCHNANT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 11415

Map Reference SJ12NW

Grid Reference SJ12232610

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanrhaeadr-ym-mochnant

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Seion Methodist Chapel was first opened 1834, classrooms were added in 1870, a chapel house and detached Sunday School in 1892. The present chapel is a rebuild dated 1904, designed by architects Shayler and Ridge of Oswestry. It is a stone-built, slate-roofed chapel, built in the Arts & Crafts Gothic style with a gable entry plan. The dressings are in contrasting sandstone; it has two flanking hipped roofed turrets with battered walls, with the left hadnd turret is lower and narrower. In the centre is a shallow 6-light segmentally-headed perpendicular style window over a projecting stone porch with curvilinear parapet and segmental doorway with moulded stone head and flanking lancet slits. The detached stone-built and slate-roofed gable-entry Sunday School, on the left hand side, has ashlar bands and dressings, a centre gabled porch with steps up to a 4-moulded-panel door and flanking window openings with renewed windows. The chapel house is at the rear and the complex is enclosed by dwarf walls, railings and gates. Seion is now Grade 2* Listed as an unusually fine Arts and Crafts chapel design which is amongst the best in Wales.

RCAHMW, November 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records