You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llangan Church

Loading Map
NPRN114992
Map ReferenceSN11NE
Grid ReferenceSN1772018722
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityHenllanfallteg
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

St Canna's church is located in an oval churchyard on the south side of a lane to Sarn-las farm. It was restored in 1882, in minimal Decorated style, by S.Lewis of Haverfordwest and consists of simple nave and chancel with west bellcote and north porch.
The church is associated with an inscribed stone (NPRN 304241) and a possible holy well (NPRN 32465). It lies within an extensive cropmark complex (NPRN 275704) and traces of an early church enclosure area, or territory, at least 0.5km across have been identified in the surrounding field boundary patterns (James 1992, 65-7 fig.8.5).

Sources:
H.James, in Edwards & Lane (eds.) ''The Early Church in Wales & the West" (1992), pp.62-76.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.308.

D.Leighton & J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 23 June 2015.