Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CANNA'S CHURCH, LLANGAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 114992

Map Reference SN11NE

Grid Reference SN1772018722

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Henllanfallteg

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Canna's church is located in an oval churchyard on the south side of a lane to Sarn-las farm. It was restored in 1882, in minimal Decorated style, by S.Lewis of Haverfordwest and consists of simple nave and chancel with west bellcote and north porch.
The church is associated with an inscribed stone (NPRN 304241) and a possible holy well (NPRN 32465). It lies within an extensive cropmark complex (NPRN 275704) and traces of an early church enclosure area, or territory, at least 0.5km across have been identified in the surrounding field boundary patterns (James 1992, 65-7 fig.8.5).

Sources:
H.James, in Edwards & Lane (eds.) ''The Early Church in Wales & the West" (1992), pp.62-76.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.308.

D.Leighton & J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 23 June 2015.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites