You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Capel Lligwy Chapel Of Ease

Loading Map
NPRN11544
Map ReferenceSH48NE
Grid ReferenceSH4991086322
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityMoelfre
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodMedieval
Description
Capel Lligwy Chapel is a single cell twelfth century chapel of ease attached to St Michael's Church, Penrhos-Lligwy, only 1.8km to the west. The current structure, particluarly the upper walls and openings other than the south doorway, is largely the result of re-building in the fourteenth century, but the south doorway is at least partly original. The west wall rises to a gabled bellcote. A burial chapel and stone-slab roofed vault were added in the sixteenth century for the Pierce Lloyd family of Lligwy. The vault is entered by a flight of steps from the east end of the main chapel. The chapel was appropriated to Plas Lligwy - now demolished - until the start of the eighteenth century after which it tumbled into dereliction. It is now preserved as an ancient monument. The walls stand to their full height, but the roof is gone.

Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 132-3

RCAHMW, January 2011