You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

United Reformed Church ;congregational Church, Victoria Place, Victoria Road And Hill Street, Newport

Loading Map
NPRN11659
Map ReferenceST38NW
Grid ReferenceST3109187716
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNewport
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityStow Hill
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The United Reformed Congregational Chapel is one of the most impressive chapels in Wales. Its triple-arched main-gable facade on columns is a pioneering example of the type in Wales and may have inspired architect John Humphrey to use that design elsewhere. The chapel was built in 1859, architect A.D.Watkins and modified in 1868 by builder W.O.Watkins. The chapel is built in the Italianate/Romanesque style with a long-wall entry plan. There are galleries around three sides and a huge organ-case at the end, framed with the platform pulpit by a triple-arch entrance to the end bay carried on two soaring columns. This chapel closed in 2007 and is now used by the Islamic Society for Gwent. The building is Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, March 2011