You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street, Penmaenmawr

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH77NW
Grid ReferenceSH7100176153
Unitary (Local) AuthorityConwy
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
Period19th Century

The cause for the Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Penamenmawr was established in 1841 according to the 1851 Religious Census. The current Penmaenmawr Wesleyan Methodist Chapel building on the site opened in 1872, built to the designs of Richard Davies, Bangor architect. Although built as a Welsh language chapel, by the 1860's the chapel was also providing English language services in the summer months. (North Wales Chronicle, 19th July 1862).

It is stone-built in the Gothic style with a gable entry type plan. The façade had two pointed-arch doorways to the outer bays, a large central window to the first floor flanked by two small slit windows above the doors, and trefoil ventilation to the apex of the pediment. 

In 1901 it was reported that the chapel had become "too small for the congregation that assembles there, and as there is no means of enlarging the present building, it has been decided to erect  anew place of worship" (North Wales Weekly News, 29th March 1901). This was on a new site, NPRN 11997. 

In 1925 plans submitted by Mr W L Jones, Almas House, for the convertion of the old chapel into a garage were approved by the council (North Wales Weekly News 30th July 1925). By c. 2000 the building was in mixed use as a residential property above, with garage to the ground floor. A large garage door has been inserted at ground level and the first floor windows filled in and the central one re-worked to include two casement windows. 

RCAHMW, October 2023