You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Catholic Church Of Our Lady Of The Angels And St Winefride's, Queen's Road, Aberystwyth

Loading Map
NPRN12141
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5841382159
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityAberystwyth
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Roman Catholic church of Our Lady and St Winefride, situated on Queen's Road, Aberystwyth, dates from 1874-5. It was designed by George Jones and Son of Aberystwyth in Decorated Gothic style and built by James Williams. It consists of a chancel, nave and porch (originally intended as a bell tower). There is a large 4-light west window.

19th Century internal fittings include a carved stone reredos by Boulton of Cheltenham. A set of Stations of the Cross were installed in 1876 and have been attributed to the artist Aristide Alcan. The adjoining presbytary was built at the same time as the church.

The church was closed in 2012 and a decision is still to be made to either renovate the buildings or redevelop the site (December 2016).

References:
Centenary booklet, M B Kiely, 1974
BBC News reports, 2012 & 2016