You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary's Church (Chapel of Ease), Brecon

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO02NW
Grid ReferenceSO0452028520
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval

St Mary's Church was originally a chapel of ease to St John's Benedictine Priory, and since 1923 it has acted as a parish church and is the main church in the town of Brecon. There is some work from the twelfth to fifteenth centuries, and the western tower is from around 1510-1520 and was built in the Somerset style. Later repairs and restorations include those of 1831, of 1856 by T H Wyatt and of 1928 by W D Caroe. 

There are a series of wallpaintings:
1) Decalogue, creed, Paternoster (stone). 2 marble tablets with four panels; Decalogue, Paternoster, Creed. Incised & painted text, inportant initials picked out in red. Signed Stanton of Lon:, dated 1691. Probably William Stanton (1639-1705), master-mason & sculptor, sometime Master of Masons' Company; also carved monuments to Lucy family in Christ College (Gunnis 368). A rare example of metropolitan work - but cf Myddfai.[AJP '72,'94].

2) Stencilling under arch. Drawing of stencilling from under arch (1857). No trace now of drawing or paint. [AJP '72]. Refs: A.C.1857,427

Source: Richard Suggett, Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800, (RCAHMW 2021).