You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Libanus English Presbyterian Church (calvinistic Methodist), Worcester Street, Bryn-mawr

Loading Map
NPRN12330
Map ReferenceSO11SE
Grid ReferenceSO1887011790
Unitary (Local) AuthorityBlaenau Gwent
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityBrynmawr
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Libanus Presbyterian Chapel was built in 1848 and this is the date of the present main chapel building. It was renovated in 1870 and had major reconstruction work in 1905-6. Most of the interior probably dates from the latter date: the arched organ recess, the organ, the all-round six-side gallery with iron palmette fronts, the wide platform pulpit with a set fawr in front and the pews. The main chapel is built in the Simple Round-Headed style, and has a hipped-roof, two storeys and a square plan type typical of the early to mid nineteenth century. The elaborate 1905-06 interior is a good example of its date. There is a plain Sunday School with domestic-type windows added to one side of the front (possibly in 1870) and a full width porch as found elsewhere in Brynmawr. There is a vestry at the rear. The flat ceiling is all of exposed timber planks divided into squares with a central ventilator grill, all probably of 1905-06.

RCAHMW, July 2011