Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOSEPH'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, BRACKLEY AVENUE, COLWYN BAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12504

Map Reference SH87NW

Grid Reference SH84527921

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Colwyn Bay

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Built in 1898-1900, architect R.Curran of Warrington. Constructed of yellow and red limestone, the nave church has features such as the sanctuary and high altar and the apse at the eastern end with the stained glass panels and the statue above the main entrance in the tower.

From a report of the opening in the Carnarvon and Denbigh Herald and North and South Wales Independent, 8th June 1900: 'The church externally has a very handsome appearance, being in the Gothic style with a graceful spire, which is set off to advantage by the wooded surroundings of Brackley-avenue. It will seat 400 persons, the nave being 72ft. by 24ft. wide, the two side aisles 72ft. by 10ft., and the sanctuary 24ft. by 42ft. The external stone facing is in Yorkshire shoddies, the dressings being in red Runcorn stone. The Clerestory is carried on marble columns with Ancaster stone bases and caps, the chancel and ,side arches being in red Runcorn stone. The roof of the nave, sanctuary, and side aisles is in pitch pine, as also is the seating, the screens, and gallery front. The sanctuary floor is of oak blocks, and that of the nave and side aisles is in red deal blocks. The high altar and side altar is in Bath stone. The church was built by the Rev. James Lennon in memory of his brother. The architect was Mr Robert Curran, C.E., Warrington; the contractor, Mr Thomas Browne, Chester; and the foreman of the works, Mr Edward Bell'.

RCAHMW, 2016.