Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, JOHNSTOWN, RHOSLLANERCHRUGOG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12540

Map Reference SJ34NW

Grid Reference SJ3000946265

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Rhosllanerchrugog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St Mary's church is located on the south side of Merlin Street at its junction with Offa Street. It was built in 1926-28 in a conventional Perpendicular style to designs of architect E.Glyn.Wooley, and modified in 1957 with the completion of the chancel. Constructed of rustic brick with stone dressings under slate roofs, the church comprises nave and chancel in a single chamber, south aisle, north-west porch with timberwork in the gable, and north-east flat-roofed
?vestry. An intended north-east tower was never built. The interior is spacious and lofty, but with no clerestory, walls white-painted plaster and dressings of harder brick.
This church was built to replace the iron church of St Mary's which was demolished (NPRN 420488).
Source:
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.264.

RCAHMW, 9 October, 2015

Archive Records