You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St John The Baptist's Church, Kings Mills Road, Wrexham

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSJ34NW
Grid ReferenceSJ3415049570
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
This church, which once stood on the corner of King's Mills Road and Whitegate Road, was built in 1909 to designs of Henry Protheroe, architect, of Cheltenham.
Built of freestone, it comprised chancel with north organ chamber and south vestry, nave with narrow side aisles, south porch, and a two-stage tower surmounted by a spire of 120 feet. The roof was continuous from east to west and of barrel form, lighted by a clerestory range.
Inside, the choir was furnished in oak, divided from the nave by an oak screen. A decorated oak pulpit projected from the screen on the north side as did a prayer desk with lectern corresponding to it on the south side. Other features included decorated windows; chancel floor laid in marble, that of the choir in wood blocks, and that of the nave in tiles; and a font of Caen stone.
The church was demolished in 1998.

Source: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), p.313-4

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 24 October 2014