You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Church Of St Peter, Brynteg, Wrexham

Loading Map
NPRN12562
Map ReferenceSJ35SW
Grid ReferenceSJ3085752463
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityBroughton
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Description
The Church of Saint Peter was established as a mission church in 1894 and became a Chapel of Ease to Saint Paul's Church, Pentre Broughton in 1908. The building was extended to the west in 1916, and the furnishings were installed at that time, the gift of Margaret Hamer, and the work of Cecil Hare.

It is a building constructed from rock-faced stone with a heavy slate roof and tiled ridge cresting. There is a four-bay nave articulated by slim pilaster buttresses and a chancel, with a flat-roofed vestry to the north and a lean-to vestry to the south. There is also a gabled north porch, with a plain hood mould and a bellcote over the west gable. Throughout the building are broad lancet windows, as well as paired traceried lights to the west and a three-light reticulated traceried east window.

The Church was listed for the exceptional quality and completeness of the early C20 fittings inside the building which include a series of traceried panels as well as linen-fold panelling with quatrefoil bands, openwork and fine filigree tracery. The central arch has ogival tracery and the screen is surmounted by a fleur-de-lys frieze. The pulpit which is set to the north of the screen is similarly enriched with open-work panelling. The choir stalls and communion rails are also notably enriched by decoration and finally a stained glass in the east window forms part of the same scheme.

Source:- CADW listed buildings, NJR 09/09/2008