Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, CHIRK

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12599

Map Reference SJ23NE

Grid Reference SJ2914137632

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Chirk

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Mary's is a double naved church whose present structure is believed to have originated in the twelfth century. There is evidence of perpendicular remodelling, including the windows, battlemented west tower and the northern portion of the nave. Later re-modelling includes the western galleries and roof of the south nave (1829). The font dates from 1662 and there are a number of interior monuments including the memorials to Sir Thomas and Lady Middleton by John Bushnell (1676).
David Thomas, RCAHMW, 14th September 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites