You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St John's Church, Union Street, Dowlais

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO00NE
Grid ReferenceSO0664707843
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMerthyr Tydfil
Old CountyGlamorgan
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Anglican parish church, originally built in 1827 for £3,000 for Sir Josiah John Guest, of the Dowlais Iron Company, but sequentially rebuilt such that the whole is now Victorian Gothic. Built of rubble stone with slate roofs and ashlar dressings with three distinct parts. Large nave and aisle of 1893-4 in rock-faced coursed stone (Llancaiach blue Pennant stone) with Bath stone ashlar dressings to windows and porches, sandstone ashlar to buttresses and turret. E and W porches and octagonal SW turret to front left, lancet Gothic. Big stepped buttresses to S front pierced by pointed arches at feet. Large triple lancet S window, the centre 2-light. Side walls have gabled porches in first bay then E side has 3 pairs of lancets and one stepped triplet, each bay separated by buttresses, taller to last bay. W side has 3 tiny paired clerestorey lights over lean-to aisle with 3 pairs of lancets and porch to right. Turret is octagonal with sandstone ashlar top stage with narrow louvred openings and sandstone cap with finial. Rendered E wall.
Chancel of 1873 is much lower with rougher rubble stone and 2 lancets W, 3-light ashlar N window and one small lancet set higher on W with lean-to vestry to right, with lancet N, door and lancet W. Chancel and vestry have grey limestone quoins. Moulded sill course to chancel, eroded on E. W transept of 1881 in similar rubble stone with grey stone quoins and similar 3-light W window. Blank N wall sill course and plinth course. Inset plaques above plinth.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings database
S Garfi 24/8/06