Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ALL SAINTS' CHURCH, PONTARDAWE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13408

Map Reference SN70SW

Grid Reference SN7188804132

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Pontardawe

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description 1. All Saints' church is located on the south side of Glanrhyd Road. It was built in 1885-6 in Lancet style to designs of John Griffiths and Arthur Gilbertson, at the expense of the latter. It was constructed of snecked, rock-faced Pennant sandstone with Bridgend stone dressings. The plan is cruciform comprising nave and lower chancel, north transept bearing a bellcote, and west baptistry. There is a rose window in the west gable. A notable feature of the interior is the reredos of white marble and pink Penarth alabaster. There is stained glass throughout including work by R.J.Newbery (1895).
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.516.

RCAHMW, 15 May 2015

2. The church was disused around the turn of the twenty-first century and may have been converted into a private dwelling. Several of the internal features, including the reredos, were transferred to St Mary's Church, Ynysmeudwy Road, Pontardawe, which has also since fallen into disuse and been converted into a private dwelling (see NPRN 421011).

(Source: Public information; Stained Glass in Wales Website)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 12.11.2018

Archive Records