You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel, Carmel Street, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN71SW
Grid ReferenceSN7031011910
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNeath Port Talbot
Old CountyGlamorgan
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Carmel Independent Chapel was first built in 1821, and then modified in 1829. The present building dates from a rebuiling in 1879 undertaken by architects Morgan and Jones of Swansea, working with the architect John Humphreys of Treforest. This late nineteenth century structure is built in the Classical style, as a gable entry type, with the main side walls and gable facade of square, roughly dressed stonework. A prominent feature is the large arch in the facade. The window mullions, transomes and horizontal banding are of smooth faced sandstone, while the quoins to the windows and porch etc.. are of smooth faced buff brick. The roofs are of Welsh slate. To the rear is a vestry built of random rubblestone, an extension to which has cement and plaster facing.

RCAHMW, January 2012.